Residence Education

Residence Education and Housing Services

Ray Gasser is the director of Residence Education and Housing Services at Michigan State University. Previously, he was director of University Housing at the University of Idaho. He has worked in housing since 1997 at six different institutions. He earned his doctorate in higher education administration from the University of Arizona.

Podcast Interview

Living on campus offers your student multiple opportunities to engage in academic, social, cultural, and wellness events meant to enhance your student’s college experience. Research demonstrates that students who live on campus have higher GPAs and are more likely to graduate on time. Additionally, students have access to Neighborhood Engagement Centers, which provide students with access to academic advisors, career counseling, health services, fitness classes, and much more! Each of Michigan State University’s five neighborhoods provide students with unique living experiences that promote student learning and social and cultural development!

Safety and Security

Students’ safety and security is of utmost importance to Residence Education and Housing Services. Each residence hall has live-in staff, both student and full-time professionals, who work to promote student success and respond to any student concerns 24/7 365 days a year. Resident Assistants are upper-class students who are knowledgeable about campus resources and trained to help support students in their transition to university life. If your student is having any issues in his/her room, please encourage your student to seek out his/her Resident Assistant (RA). For emergencies, please encourage your student to call 911.

Additionally, residence hall living wings are only accessible by students’ ID cards, which promote safety in our various residence hall communities. Please encourage your student to keep his/her ID card with them at all times and to never loan an ID card to anyone.

Visiting your Student

Please contact the  Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center for rates if you would like to stay on campus while visiting your student.


Visitor permits are sold at all residence hall service centers and at the Parking Office or at the 24-hour Police Service Desk.

Short-term parking is available at the meters near the residence halls main entrances.

For more information regarding Residence Education and Housing Services, please visit

For additional housing resources and information, please visit: